Saturday, July 2, 2011

July 2: Lamps in the Dusk


We have two of these lamp posts in our yard. A friend sent me an article she wrote for our small-town newspaper on the history of these lamp posts that can be found in the yards of several of the older homes in Pine Valley. Manufactured in Ohio in 1926, the lamps were installed in downtown El Centro, the largest city in the Imperial Valley (between San Diego and the Arizona border). Removed for more fashionable lamps in the mid-40s, they were sold for $100 apiece, and many home owners in our town bought them for their yards. I love the looks of these beautiful lamps and am glad we own two of them.

4 comments:

Joules said...

Nice!

Nutrition Tailor said...

Very cool--I LOVE old things.

Jane D. said...

I do have a bit of a thing for lamps and yours are gorgeous!

Susanne Barrett said...

We've received an offer to sell them, and we need money enough to consider it. I'll miss them, but we do really need $$. :(