Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stained Glass Progress



This is where Keith is in the window, six weeks into the actual glasswork part. He's hoping to finish it by the end of June, and he's just about on schedule. The sunset sky will be layered behind this yellow with oranges, reds, and even blue near the top. He also used the double-layer technique with the hummingbird.

It's the complex areas, like the hollyhocks at the right, that take so doggone much time. His patience amazes me, as does his sense of detail. Newer tools that weren't available seventeen years ago when he was last productive allows for much tighter cutting of the glass and much less grinding. But then it's not easy to place the copper foil on such tight curves, but it does come out lovely.

Lots of work done, and lots more to do.

2 comments:

Sandie said...

Thank you for posting the process and steps. I continue to enjoy watching this grow from start to finish.

carrie said...

Asolutely amazing, Susanne. I agree with Sandie, I'm so enjoying seeing the step by step progress. I think it helps me to understand just how much work is going into the finished product.