Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 2: My Prayer Corner


My "prayer corner" is my bedside table. It's upstairs (only the master bedroom and bath are upstairs in our home) so it's away from much of the noise and bedlam of the house. I have my Anglican prayer beads (different from a rosary with many prayers and Scripture possibilities), and my devotionals: my old 1928 Book of Common Prayer, my copy of The Message, my old favorite in hardcover, The Diary of Private Prayer, and The Daily Book of Common Prayer which has daily selections of Scripture and prayer for the year but different from the Morning and Evening Prayers from the 1928. I love lighting my candle and praying before my icons and pictures of Jesus. Sometimes I kneel to pray and sometimes I sit on the side of the bed. I hope to follow the Liturgy of the Hours this year, praying in the morning, at noon, in the evening, and at bedtime. I'll also be using Phyllis Tickle's three-volume The Divine Hours which has Scripture and prayers arranged for each of the four aforementioned prayer times.

No comments: