Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Church on the Hill



On our way home from church in La Mesa and as we were beginning to ascend into Alpine, Keith informed me that he would pull over to the side of the freeway so I could capture this shot. I had tried it from the passenger seat from the van as we sailed up the hill (he drives faster than I do), and even when he has slowed down, I've never captured it. Today he thought that the clouds would add interest, which they do.

This church is where I first met Father Acker over three years ago when B and I first started attending Friday morning services. He left this beautiful little church behind when half of the church elected to leave the San Diego diocese, and the Anglican church now meets in an elementary school auditorium. But this church building still beckons to me, especially after spending over a year attending. It's such a lovely little mission-style church with its lovely blue cupola and cross and its stained glass windows depicting the life of Christ. But church is more than a building; it's God's people who gather to praise and worship. I'll gladly leave this pretty little church that I see from the freeway several times each week in order to worship in spirit and in truth in the tiny chapel Father Acker built in his garage.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

Lovely. Really lovely.