Saturday, September 22, 2007

Family Portrait.....



This portrait sits on our mantel, and in case of fire, it's probably the second thing I'd grab. The lady reading is my great-grandmother, Lela Mae, who dies when I was a senior in high school. She was the spunkiest lady -- I owe to her my love of gardening and of antiques; I own many of the knick-knacks that graced her little cottage. This potrait shows her reading to my grandmother, Blossom Mae and her younger brother, Robert, who died long before I was born.

I love the antique wooden frame, the delicate watercoloring added to the photograph, and that I knew and dearly loved two of these subjects. I feel their love every time I look at this portrait, sitting on my mantel where I can easily see it from anywhere in our great room.

3 comments:

LauraLiz said...

What a treasure!

Unknown said...

Your love of books is clearly genetic. Great portrait photo.

Colleen said...

Echoing Laura, this *is* a treasure! I never had relationships with any grandparents and have almost no photos even from my own childhood. I can imagine how valuable this slice of family history is to you.