Monday, April 23, 2007

The Church on the Hill




This is the Episcopal Church in Alpine, Christ the King. Inside this church is where I first met Father Acker, where I first enjoyed the beauty of liturgy. B and I attended Friday healing services here for over a year.

Father Acker and a good number of his congregation gave up this beautiful church in order to pursue a more conservative Anglican vision; his church was the first of nine churches to leave the San Diego Episcopal diocese. He now pastors Alpine Anglican Church of the Blessed Trinity which meets in the auditorium of Alpine Elementary School, and Friday services are now in Victoria Chapel which I showcased a couple of weeks ago on this blog.

I'm sure it was difficult to give up such a lovely church, perched on the hill as it is, overlooking Alpine and Harbison Canyon. Father took some AMAZING photos from this church during the Cedar fire as the flames raced up the canyon within a mile of the church. I miss the beauty of this church and the incense and candles that we aren't allowed to use on the school grounds, but as Father says, "The church is people, not a building." So true.

4 comments:

Sandie said...

That is a really beautiful little church!

Jess said...

Susanne, I was just looking through the comments left on my blog recently and I realized I've never seen your 365 - I had no idea I'd missed you! I'm glad you said something, now I have you added and am looking forward to seeing your pictures as well.

Susanne Barrett said...

I just started it a month ago, Jess. It took that long to get my digital camera.

SUSAN said...

Precious church! I am glad you found it. :-)

Susan