Wednesday, April 18, 2007

One of My Favorite Things.....



My dear friend Kitty, a writer and poet, gave me this writing desk for my birthday last month. It's just the perfect size for my new wooden pen with steel nibs and new ink bottles that the kids gave me for my birthday, as well as for my journal and stationery. If you look closely, you'll see the green ribbon marker of my journal sticking out under the lid.

This is where I can safely park my open bottles of ink while writing with the lovely wooden pen that fits my hand perfectly. This is where I write my journals, my personal notes, and my Bible studies. This is where I've even written a smidgen of poetry. I took it with me to our women's retreat as it balances so well on my lap as I wrote out in the sunshine in my lawn chair or in bed. Usually I sit on my sofa in front of the fireplace with the desk balanced on my legs and Dashwood at my side. It's like being transported, even briefly, to a slower time where the personal letter was valued, where journal writing in a beautiful leather-bound book was the norm, and where warming oneself by the fireplace was not just a luxury, but a necessity.

2 comments:

MaryD said...

Love the picture of the desk and the picture you painted with your description. Your words transported me for that moment too, with a sigh for longing to sit by a fireplace in a slower time!

Sandie said...

I like the picture, the desk and the words.... One of my students and I were just talking about this very thing today as I email a happy birthday note to someone. He said, it would have been more meaningful to hand write the note and no one takes time to do that anymore :)