Thursday, April 12, 2007

A Place to Pray




My bedtable doubles as a place of prayer. Here I light my candle, kneel, and have my Bibles and prayer books at hand. My icons provide an inspirational focal point as I meditate, read, and pray here.

The framed poem to the right of the icons is Emily Dickinson's "Hope is the thing with wings" that E copied and illustrated for my birthday a couple of years ago; it's a wonderful reminder that in Christ, hope springs eternal.



This is the view out of the window above our bed. When I spent a summer in bed a few years ago, I spent hours gazing at this view. When the fires came, it was through this window that I watched Cuyamaca Peak burn in the night. And when I pray, I can see the sky and cypress branches from where I kneel before my candle, my icons, and my holy books, and I feel His presence with me.

No comments: