Friday, May 18, 2007

A Driving Day



It was one of those days when I spent more time in my car than anywhere else. I drove "down the hill" as we mountain dwellers say, twice today; once for church and doctor visits in the morning and again in the late afternoon to drop E off at a church-sponsored sleepover.



On the way home from dropping E off at the house of some of our 20-something young women from church, I drove past my old high school. It was built in the mid-1960s (in case you can't tell) with open hallways and no air conditioning; I lived just up the street for 16 years. I learned how to ride my bike in these hallways as a young child, walked past here during elementary and middle school, and attended all four years of high school here. There was a school shooting here later in the same year as the Santana shooting; I remember my shock at seeing my beloved school being filmed from the vantage of helicopters and police everywhere.

6 comments:

Sandie said...

That would be a very sad memory. It is interesting that you live so close to where you grew up. I do too. I have lived lots of places, but have actually settled down within 10 miles of where I grew up.

LauraLiz said...

I'm glad to see your speedometer on "0" for this photo!

So is that an eagle carrying a granite rock?

Claire said...

Gee, your school is the same style as my grade school. I think you live a blessed life being able to share your "heritage" with your kiddos daily. Yea - what's with the eagle?

Susanne Barrett said...

The school mascot is an eagle, and that eagle has been there since the school opened. My aunt and uncle attended in the late 60s, and the eagle was there at that point.

It's been vandalized and stolen by other schools as a prank among rivals. At one point, it took nearly two weeks to "find" it and get it back.

Yes, I've always lived within a 30-mile distance of where I grew up. The funny thing is that Nikki also lived in this town for a short time when she was little.

Susanne Barrett said...

PS: The eagle is supposedly taking off from the granite rock.

When I was on the yearbook staff (eons ago), I wrote up a little history of the school. That, plus living and playing on the grounds all my life, helped me to really know the school and its history.

It's actually the closest public high school to us (besides the cruddy one in our present district), and if E wanted to go to public school, she would also be attending Granite Hills.

Jess said...

I can't comment on your most recent post but I wanted to say I noticed right away the lack of a headboard and I really like it due to where the window is - nice personal touch!

As for the highschool, it seems shootings in school are more common than one would like to think :(